Can Visitation Rights Be Revoked?

In Florida, a parent's visitation rights can be revoked if it is in the best interest of the child. This is usually due to issues of violence or harm.

Non-custodial parents are usually required to pay child support to help with the child’s financial needs and stability. If the non-custodial parent isn’t making payments, it can be frustrating, so much so that the custodial may decide to withhold visitation until payments resume. Is this possible or what is the best approach?

While one may construe the inability of a parent to provide financially for his or her child as a form of neglect, courts place heavy value on a healthy relationship between the child and both parents.

As a result, counseling for children and visits are evaluated individually. The payment of child support does not absolve a parent who doesn’t wish to nurture a relationship with a child. In contrast, it is not possible to prevent a parent who is unwilling or unable to make payments from seeing a child.

When visitation may be revoked

The court can take a poor view of your parenting ability should you refuse visits. Except for scenarios involving violence, courts agree that communicating with the children is better for both parents. Your former spouse may be able to use it against you in future cases if you prevent this from happening. This can affect existing custody arrangements so that the parent who doesn’t have custody can enjoy quality time without the custodial parent’s interference.

This update is provided by the firm and Miami family law lawyers of Rafool, LLC. We have a strong reputation throughout Florida and we have numerous years of experience representing clients involved in complex divorce cases as well as other family law matters. Should you have any domestic or family issue, we are here to assist you by providing educated advice and skilled, professional advocacy. Call 305-567-9400 to speak with one of our family law attorneys Miami.

This information is provided for educational or informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. The information is not provided in the course of an attorney-client relationship and is not intended to substitute for legal advice.