International Child Custody Cases

Miami is home to people from all over the world. When families, no matter what size, decide to relocate to South Florida, there are often remaining strong ties to people and places left behind in their home countries. For children of divorced parents, moving abroad can be a serious issue. A Miami family law lawyer seeks to prevent unlawful behavior and the demolition of family relationships. 

The Hague Convention and United States law gives strong provisions that oversee the transportation of children across national borders. Having an attorney can ensure you can exercise and enforce your parental rights. 

Sometimes, there is a familial relocation that includes the child that goes against another parent’s wishes. Whether in the United States or somewhere else, if a parent wants to relocate with their child more than 50 miles in distance, a parent must file a Petition to Relocate if there is no agreement between both parents. 

Unfortunately, children get caught in the middle of parental conflicts, and parents may choose to move abroad. If a child is a resident of the United States and the parent takes them to another country without proper authority, legal action is available under the Hague Convention. The Hague Convention is a multilateral treaty that allows children to be expeditiously returned after being internationally abducted by a parent from one member country to another. 

Miami FL divorce attorney can petition for the return of minors from signatory countries. If you are worried about the possibility of abduction, we can negotiate and execute ne exeat bonds, retaining a parent from leaving the country to help secure custody agreement compliance.