Following a divorce, a person may wish to relocate within the state of Florida or move out of the state entirely for countless reasons. If the person is the parent of a child, however, it is not as simple as packing up and moving on. If the parent plans on taking the child with them, permission may be required.


Approval is required in cases where a parent intends to move their child’s primary residence at least fifty miles or more from the location reported in the last child custody order.

In cases where both parents agree the child may relocate, they may submit a relocation agreement with a minor child form to the court. The form typically states the revised parenting plan and the schedule for splitting time between the parents if the existing arrangement will be affected by the decision to relocate.

This update is provided by the firm Rafool, LLC. We have a strong reputation throughout Florida and we have numerous years of experience representing clients involved in complex divorce cases as well as other family law matters. Should you have any domestic or family issue, we are here to assist you by providing educated advice and skilled, professional advocacy.

Call 305-567-9400 to speak with one of our Miami family law lawyers.
This information is provided for educational or informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. The information is not provided in the course of an attorney-client relationship and is not intended to substitute for legal advice.