When a Parent Doesn’t Pay Child Support

The expenses involved in raising a child can quickly add up, especially for individuals that are single parents. Hence, non-custodial parents are typically required by the court to pay child support. However, what’s a single parent to do if the other parent isn’t providing child support?

Courts have a multitude of ways of tackling the issue of parents who don’t pay child support. For example, the parent may have wages garnished if he or she is gainfully employed. This involves garnishing a portion of the person’s paycheck, which is then transferred to the custodial parent. A court may also place a lien against the non-custodial parent’s assets, such as a vehicle or property they may own. A bank account may also be frozen.

In more extreme cases, the non-custodial parent may receive jail time. This happens if a considerable time has passed with child support going unpaid and there is a substantial amount owed. A court will reluctantly take this approach as it typically means payment won’t be received.

This update is provided by the firm and Miami family lawlawyers of Rafool, LLC. We have a strong reputation throughout Florida and we have numerous years of experience representing clients involved in complex divorce cases as well as other family law matters. Should you have any domestic or family issue, we are here to assist you by providing educated advice and skilled, professional advocacy. Call 305-567-9400 to speak with one of our family law attorneys Miami.

This information is provided for educational or informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. The information is not provided in the course of an attorney-client relationship and is not intended to substitute for legal advice.