Miami Family Law Attorneys
Florida family law firm handles legal challenges when your marriage breaks up
Although our offices are in Miami, Florida, we represent clients all over the State of Florida. Divorce is more than the end of a relationship between two people. When the couple has children, other lives are at stake, along with financial issues that seem endless. The skilled Miami family law attorneys at Rafool, PLLC, are committed to protecting your rights with skill and determination so that you and your children emerge with the confidence that every detail has been expertly handled.
Knowledgeable advice on child support, modification and enforcement
In Florida, both parents must support their children after a divorce or breakup. A judge determines the level each parent should contribute, and an experienced advocate can help ensure that all relevant information is presented so that the determination is fair. Factors reviewed by the court include:
- Parental income — This includes not only wages, but interest and investment income, as well as money coming from benefits such as disability and unemployment.
- Statutory allowance for standard needs — To cover basic items such as food and shelter, state law sets a figure that must be paid based on a parent’s monthly income and the number of supported children.
- Child care and medical costs — Due to the wide variance in needs and costs for healthcare and child care, these items are calculated separately based on the individual case.
Often, changes in employment and lifestyle mean that a once-fair decision is now completely inappropriate. In these instances, Rafool, PLLC, attorneys can assist you to adjust support orders to reflect changed circumstances. If your former partner is not complying with an existing order, we will assist in enforcement and contempt proceedings to obtain payment and compliance.
Miami child custody attorneys to preserve your most important relationships
Courts base child custody and visitation decisions on what they believe to be the best interests of the child. Evidence and testimony in this area can be extremely contentious and personal, possibly even involving questions about paternity. Rafool, PLLC, will provide you with skilled counsel on custody matters, which include:
- Legal custody — This refers to the legal authority to make key decisions on the child’s behalf. Generally, Florida law favors joint legal custody unless something about a parent presents a possible risk to the child.
- Physical custody and time share — Courts consult with parents when deciding where the child will reside. Parents’ time share or visitation with their children is determined by many factors, all considered in determining what is the children’s best interest. A parenting plan must be submitted to the court outlining how time and parenting responsibilities will be apportioned.
- Modifications — Circumstances change with time share and other children’s issues. Under the right facts, children’s schedules and responsibilities can be modified. Rafool, PLLC, can help you determine and assist you in such modifications if appropriate. For all of these issues, we will prepare the strongest case possible so that you can maintain the strongest relationship possible with your children.
Drafting prenuptial and postnuptial agreements for long-term security
Prenuptial and postnuptial contracts serve as valuable and cost-saving tools in case problems occur in the marriage. Rafool, PLLC, can assist in drafting and negotiating agreements that attempt to secures the assets, income and waive alimony obligations or reduce usual divorce rights and obligations. Even if you are already married, a postnuptial agreement can be executed.
Contact Miami family law attorneys for an initial consultation
Rafool, PLLC, located in Miami, serves Florida families. Please call (305) 567-9400 or contact us online to schedule an initial consultation at our Miami office.