Florida Attorneys Litigate International Child Custody Cases

Miami firm protects parental rights in matters involving other countries

The Miami area attracts people from around the world, and many of those who’ve settled in South Florida maintain strong connections to their home countries. But when couples with children divorce, a desire to move abroad, to their native land, can create serious problems. At Rafool, PLLC, our lawyers represent clients in international child custody matters to prevent unlawful behavior and the destruction of parent-child relationships. Both the Hague Convention and U.S. law include strong provisions governing the transportation of children across national borders. Our knowledgeable attorneys are experienced in these matters and can give you the best chance of effectively enforcing your parental rights.

Dedicated advocates handle relocation and abduction disputes

In an initial consultation, our family law attorneys will explain how domestic and international law relates to situations such as:

  • Relocation against a co-parent’s wishes — Whether their intended destination is in the United States or another country, a parent who wishes to relocate their child more than 50 miles away from the other parent must file a Petition to Relocate if an agreement cannot be reached. We can prepare the documentation and assemble a thorough case as to why adjusting a time-sharing order is in the child’s best interests.
  • Parental abduction — Sadly, children are often caught in the middle when a parent wants to move to another country. If a child has been a habitual resident of the United States and a parent takes them to another nation without proper authority, legal action can be taken under the Hague Convention. Through the U.S. Department of State’s Office of Children’s Issues, which serves as the U.S. Central Authority for the Convention, our lawyers initiate petitions to return minors from signatory countries.
  • International travel — If your former partner wishes to travel outside the United States with the children you share and you are concerned about the possibility of abduction, our firm negotiates and executes ne exeat bonds, which restrain your ex from leaving the country, to help secure compliance with your custody agreement.

Whether you are going through a divorce or are separated and seek to establish firm ground rules regarding international custody issues or face a more pressing concern, our lawyers can explain the relevant law and take immediate action on your behalf.

Contact a diligent Miami international custody lawyer for an initial consultation

Rafool, PLLC, assists clients with international child custody matters and other types of family litigation. Please call (305) 567-9400 or contact us online to schedule an initial consultation at our Miami office.