David R. Hazouri
David R. Hazouri is a partner with the firm. As a commercial litigator of some twenty-one years, David has assisted his clients in navigating a wide variety of complex commercial disputes in both state and federal court. His work on regulatory and land use matters has also allowed him to advocate before local and state administrative boards and governmental bodies. Complimenting his practice, David has developed a deep proficiency in all matters of investigative discovery involving computer-based information. In 2006, David established his own eDiscovery consulting firm and later worked as a Managing Director for a global legal process outsourcing company. He has taught bar-certified courses on eDiscovery to law students, attorneys, and judges and is currently a Certified X1 Social Media Examiner.
- Settled a business dispute between billion-dollar entities over ownership rights to website development concept and underlying code.
- Represented a developer in cross-use land rights dispute with a neighboring television station and national media mogul.
- Appellate counsel for multi-million dollar claim involving adverse party’s loss or destruction (spoliation) of electronically stored evidence.
- Represented the U.S. Litigation Trustee and Plan Administrator for international language software company, in a suit against Big Four accounting firm seeking damages of over $300 million dollars for improper accounting practices related to management’s fraudulent revenue recognition.
- Defended the subsidiary of a Fortune 100 company with respect to the enforceability of investor interests in assigned whole life insurance policies.
- Defended one of the nation’s largest homebuilders in class action claims for defective stucco siding.
- Defended a prominent financial institution in two separate class actions involving allegations of aiding and abetting, breach of fiduciary duty and violation of the Bank Secrecy Act.
- Defended a specialty products manufacturer against trade secret and unfair competition claims brought by name brand skin care products company.
- Defended a super-abrasives start-up company against claims brought by the division of a multinational conglomerate alleging unfair competition, FUDTPA violations, and trade secret misappropriations.
- Obtained recommended reversal by the administrative hearing officer of the county clerk’s bid award concerning an RFP for lucrative debt collection services contract.
- Represented the subsidiary of a Fortune 100 company in obtaining city commission review and rejection of an unfavorable recommendation from the city manager regarding an RFP for a lucrative public red-light camera contract.
Published Works and Lectures
- Lecturer, Florida Continuing Judicial Education Course, Effective Courtroom Management of Computerized Discovery, Electronic Discovery and Digital Evidence, Committee of the Business Law Section of the Florida Bar, September 2016 (Broward Judiciary) and April 2016 (Tampa Judiciary)
- Speaker, Panelist, Florida Bar President’s Vision 2015 Panel on Technology in Legal Education, Mid-Year Florida Bar Convention, 2014
- Presenter, eDiscovery Issues in Bankruptcy Practice, Southern District Bankruptcy Bar Association Conference, 2014
- Presenter, eDiscovery Best Practices for Litigators, Certified CLE Courses for multiple South Florida law firms, 2006-2012
- Guest Lecturer, eDiscovery Vendor Selection, University of Miami School of Law, 2008
- Author, Questions You Should Ask When Selecting An E-Discovery Vendor, Florida Bar Practicing Resource Institute, March 24, 2016
- Florida Bar, Business Law Section, Electronic Discovery and Digital Evidence Committee.
- Dade County Bar Association.
- JD, University of Miami School of Law, 1995, Cum Laude, Dean’s Honor Scholarship
- Post-Bacc, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, 1990
- BA, English, Duke University, Durham, NC, 1986
- New York
- United States District Courts for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York