What do I need to start a divorce in Florida?
If you are considering a divorce in Florida, the process starts with filing a petition. This gets filed with the court stating the marriage is irretrievably broken. The respondent (your spouse) then answers the petition. After this, you will likely go through the following steps:
1. Collect financial information - information gathering such as tax returns, expenses, assets and income statements
2. Negotiate terms of the divorce such as alimony and dividing property
3. Creating a parenting plan - Married couples with children will require a plan on how children will be raised, visitation rights
4. Litigation - If any details cannot be agreed upon, a court trail may be required
5. Order of dissolution - The judge issues a final ruling.
Additional resources that may help filing a divorce in Florida