Besides the emotions tied to the divorce process itself, child custody can also come with a host of strong feelings. From having to make—or having decisions made for you—on who the child will spend their days with to the potential acrimony, the child custody process can be painful. With that in mind, you don’t want to do anything that could negatively affect your odds or make you come across as an unfit parent.

Bad behavior could impact child custody proceedings

For example, getting arrested can create a huge roadblock in the time received to spend with the child. The other parent may decide to use this example to illustrate why they should receive sole custody of the child even if the other parent has no criminal history or has never shown signs of being unfit.

Florida courts could grant a temporary custody injunction

The court may grant a temporary custody injunction during child custody proceedings. This order will concentrate solely on the child's best interests. The child may be placed with both parents in the family home. However, if parents have already separated, the court may decide to grant one parent decision-making power and a majority of timesharing, especially if that parent lives in the home the child grew up in. Should this temporary order being ignored or disobeyed, the court may see it as though the other parent does not value authority.

This update is provided by the Miami child custody lawyers at Rafool, LLC. We have a strong reputation throughout Florida and we have numerous years of experience representing clients involved in complex divorce cases as well as other family law matters. Should you have any domestic or family issue, we are here to assist you by providing educated advice and skilled, professional advocacy. Call 305-567-9400 to speak with one of our family law attorneys Miami.

This information is provided for educational or informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. The information is not provided in the course of an attorney-client relationship and is not intended to substitute for legal advice.