Interstate child custody

After a divorce, one parent may decide to move to a different state, whether it’s to be closer to family or to start fresh. In most cases, a court will award additional time-sharing to one parent when the other leaves the state rather than providing fair time-sharing. Parents reach an agreement to alternate school years and summer vacations in uncommon situations, but this has its complexities.

Scheduling visitation

Being an active and involved parent can be hard when your child is in a different state. Co-parenting with your former spouse can prove even trickier. One way to make the situation easier is to develop a schedule that both parents can agree on. Perhaps instead of summer, the holidays are a better time for the child to spend time with a certain parent. There is also the option to swap schedules each year so that both get alternating equal time.

Distance makes the heart grow fonder. It’s important to remain in contact with the child as much as possible. You may wish to schedule a call every Friday so that you can catch up on the child’s week and they are aware that you care about their life. Don’t forget to use the power of video and also consider playing some mobile games with them.

If you find yourself getting or frustrated, remaining level-headed and providing open contact with your former spouse is critical. What is it that works? What could be changed to improve things? It's easy to criticize, but to come up with ideas is even better.

This update is provided by the firm and Miami family attorneys at Rafool, LLC. We have a strong reputation throughout Florida and we have numerous years of experience representing clients involved in complex divorce cases as well as other family law matters. Should you have any domestic or family issue, we are here to assist you by providing educated advice and skilled, professional advocacy. Call 305-567-9400 to speak with one of our family law attorneys Miami.

This information is provided for educational or informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. The information is not provided in the course of an attorney-client relationship and is not intended to substitute for legal advice.