Are you thinking about getting a divorce? Perhaps your relationship has irreparably broken down. If children are involved, you may be thinking about pursuing sole custody. However, this may be easier said than done. You can't in most cases prohibit your spouse from having a relationship with their child. However, you can restrict the amount of obligation that your partner receives and the time that they share.

Seeking sole custody in Florida

During a case of child custody in Florida, the courts perceive you and your spouse as your child's "co-parents." Family courts will grant both parents joint parental responsibility during a traditional divorce which also involves time sharing which, as the name suggests, is the time you spend with your child. Parental responsibility implies taking decisions in your child's interest. It can include the school they attend, for example.

Family courts in Florida are not fond of preventing a parent the right to see their child. They are fond, however, of provisions that have the best interest of the child in mind. Your spouse may receive a reduction in their parental responsibility or the privileges of sharing time in certain scenarios. Furthermore, the courts may also mandate that the other parent must adhere to certain conditions for any visits to take place.

Contact a Miami divorce lawyer for help with custody

This update is provided by the firm Rafool, LLC. We have a strong reputation throughout Florida and we have numerous years of experience representing clients involved in complex divorce cases as well as other family law matters. Should you have any domestic or family issue, we are here to assist you by providing educated advice and skilled, professional advocacy. Call 305-567-9400 to speak with one of our Miami divorce attorneys.

This information is provided for educational or informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. The information is not provided in the course of an attorney-client relationship and is not intended to substitute for legal advice.